A History of the Barn Inn at Lake Rabun
In 1920 Samuel Candler Dobbs purchased approximately 114 acres along Lake Rabun. Mr. Dobbs built a magnificent riverstone lakeside home, a guest cottage and at the top of the hill, a riverstone and timber horse stable with concrete floors and numerous windows. Mr. Dobbs held the property until his death.
In September 1952, the Dobbs' estate was sold to Mrs. Frances Malone.
Mrs. Malone sold the property in 1954 to Dr's. S.R. and Mahdah Love. After Dr. S.R. Love's death, Mahdah Love used the barn for lodging spiritual retreats that she held from 1957 to 1984. She sold the barn and adjacent property to Weyman and Theda Evans in March 1984.
The Evans were the first owners to renovate the barn and stalls into a livable inn. From 1984 until 1989 the Evans ran "The Old Barn Inn - Adult Lodging", as a bed and breakfast.
In April 1989, the Evans sold the Barn Inn to a group of individuals (Mr. & Mrs. Petersen, Mr. & Mrs. Vantosh and Mr. & Mrs. Bruno) who ran the Barn as the "Barn Inn - A Lodge on Lake Rabun". The group was the first to use the rooster logo.
The property was sold to Danny and Susan Lee in June 1995. They ran "The Barn Inn - Bed and Breakfast" until 1998. They continued using the rooster logo.
In June of 1998, the Lee's sold the Barn Inn to Randall Corbin and Dr. Charles Bryson. They renovated the rooms and designed the commercial kitchen. Heart pine floors were laid in the kitchen, dining room and hall. The barn was used as a private residence until 2005.
Mr. Corbin sold the inn in December 2005 to the current owners and innkeepers Jan S. Timms and Nancy A. Gribble, who continued the renovation and opened The Barn Inn at Lake Rabun, in April 2006.
As you will see the rock and timber inn is truly a unique structure. The atmosphere of the inn is spacious, well appointed, quiet and very much livable for guests and innkeepers. In keeping with past logos, The Barn Inn has its own rooster logo.